There is an easy enough method whereby you can play your DVD movies on the PS3 without any video conversion. This method will transfers the contents of the DVD to a single .mpg video file which can play on the PS3 from a NAS/PC DLNA server or from USB storage.
Benefits of this method
- No video conversion so original quality video/audio plus only takes a few minutes for the whole process.
- A single file that holds the movie instead of split vobs files.
- Proper aspect ratio and the correct audio track can be maintained from the DVD.
Step 1: Purchase AnyDVD and rip the DVD as a VIDEO_TS to your hard drive.
Step 2: Get VOB2MPG and input your VIDEO_TS folder into the program, make sure sure you have the right audio track then just generate the mpg file.
Thats it your done! I highly recommend purchasing the full version of VOB2MPG to support the developer.
But what about movies with forced subtitles you say (subtitled foreign language segments in English speaking movies), well this is a more tricky area which will entail a video conversion but the number of movies that have this are pretty few thankfully, click read more for a solution.
Forced sbutitles are generally handled in two ways for DVD’s, if your lucky the subs are part of the video stream but if your unlucky the subs are a separate subtitle track on the DVD which is the more common method.
For the separate subtitle track this is how to handle it;
1) Rip DVD using MakeMKV taking all English labeled subtitles.
2) Play the video in VLC and cycle through the subtitles at a point you know the subs appear to identify the correct track.
3) Feed the mkv file into Handbrake .
* select High Profile preset,
* go to the audio tab and delete AAC audio track 1 making the second AC3 passthru track the default
* go to the subtitles tab under “track” select the correct subtitles track then tick the box for “burned in” and lastly then click on “add”
4) Click start to begin conversion, this will give you an x264/M4V file with AC3 5.1 audio that will play on the PS3 with the subtitles burned into the video stream.
Handbrake and burning in subtitles can be a bit iffy sometimes (also cant seem to burn in srt subs either), if it doesn’t work use
1) MKVcleaver to extract the subtitles from the MKV file
2) Feed the DVD subs into Subtitle Edit for conversion into .srt (this will make the subs look much nicer on screen too)
3) Use Staxrip on the MKV file along with the PS3 preset, from the tools menu select hardcoded subs and point it at the .srt file